TCO has been touted by MAC for many years. Alas, it is easy to slant
numbers to promote an argument for either platform. Whenever a truely
independent researcher looks at the numbers, it seems that the validity of
the TCO argument evaporates into a dead heat.

 http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22738.html

What is often overlooked is that "average" numbers don't tell the whole
story. My studio isn't populated with examples of  "average" workstations.
I carefully research the hardware & software choices I make. I pay a
(usually) small premium upfront for the parts that are considered reliable.
The result of being an educated consumer is that I greatly reduce the odds
of having to fill anything in on that "support personel" line. I have
stayed with PC this last round of upgrades because this equation has
allowed me to buy a more powerful machine (over the then current top of the
line MAC)... for less money.... which has remained reliable.... and (most
importantly!) was significantly more up-gradable than the Apple offering.
This last point has weighed quite strongly in my choices over the last
decade.

Buying a PC is no different than buying a car. If you simply go with the
pop offering, you get middle of the road performance and you better buy
into that extended warranty.

Frank