>What is the current thinking about scanning slides on flatbed
>scanners? Are the flatbeds beginning to be true rivals to dedicated
>slide scanners? I'm looking at the Epson Perfection 4870. It looks
>good but I'm still a little hesitant to take the plunge and depend
>fully on a flatbed. If we add a slide scanner, I'm looking at the
>Nikon Coolscan 5000 with the optional slide feeder. Back in Feb 2003,
>someone on the list noted an issue with slides becoming jammed. Has
>anyone else had the same problem?
>Thanks,
>Angie
>--

Angie,

Most of the information I have seen suggest these Epson flatbed
scanners are pretty darn good at scanning slides (I've had pretty
good luck with my Epson 3200), but the slide scanners have gotten
even better. The fact that there is glass between the slide and the
scan head is a limiting factor. You will get more detail and contrast
from a slide scanner.

There are some expensive flatbed scanners that but the transparencies
in an alternate tray that goes in the body of the scanner to bypass
the glass.

<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Scanners/Epson_3200/page_11.htm>

The review here looks are you scanner compared to drum scanning:
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%204870/page_1.htm>
and page 9 of this excellent review compares it to a Nikon LS4000!

britt
--
Britt Griswold/WMAP Project