Hey Bob,

Trade-offs for portability are less power and sometimes fewer connections.
Laptops with faster CPUs run hotter and burn through batteries. So the
story isn't just their specs. If you are going out and about, I really
suggest something that is light and efficient. There are some great choices
for either platform these days. If portability is the main concern you
should compare how the smallest MAC

 http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index12.html

compares with the Fujitsu PC ultra-portables.

 http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P5D

They are both great machines- each with their stregnths and weaknesses. I
misread your comment about "no institutional problems" as being open to
either platform. So if you are sure you want to work with MAC you can
ignore the rest of this post...

Althought they are popular in Europe and Japan, currently there are only
two ultra-portable PCs released for US consumption: a Fujitsu P series and
a Sony. I brought the Fujitsu P5020D over the comparable Sony based a some
secondary features (non-propietary memory slots and tech support).

It has wireless LAN, firewire, and USB 2.0. The coolest factor is the wide
aspect ratio screen. The screen is technically a 10.5 inch screen, but it
runs at 1280 x 768 and feel much bigger. Its 16:9 shape allows the
designing of a computer that sits atop a piece of printer paper with a half
inch margin visible on all sides. Your battery life will run from 5 hours
to 11 hours depending on whether you opt for a 2nd battery. (I would) The
CPU is 1 gig. memory is 1 GB. I strongly reccomend the upgrade to the hard
drive to a 7200rpm drive.

I got a great deal here:

http://www.laptopsinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FP
CM20206-512&Category_Code=PS2&Product_Count=4

I found the LeoG discussion group after I brought the unit, but it would
have been useful before the fact. Apparently Fujitsu is poised to release
the next model, a P7000 in late June. Depending on the timing of your trip,
you might want to wait till then to nail a slightly faster version. There
is a comparison of the models offered/pending 3/4 of the ways down this
thread.

 http://www.leog.net/fujp_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5402

Have fun up there.

Frank