Frank said;
>And I love "For all the saber rattling, I doubt that stock houses fear
>collusion. They know artists couldn't collude to go to a restaurant."

I love this quote too. Although, it goes on to say...

"They know artists couldn't collude to go to a restaurant. We lack the
organs of collusion. We don't have an effective freelancers' organization,
a newsletter, or an industry web-site."

If you turn this around, isn't Brad Holland saying that collusion is
possible if such organs did exist? We *do* have a listserv which allows
these personal opinions to be shared widely with others. By running the
listserv, the GNSI and the university that hosts it are facilitating such
discussions.

I agree with Clara - we just have to be careful not to give the impression
that we are trying to set "industry standard" pricing. It's one thing to
announce "I got paid this much for this job." It's quite another to say
"you *should* get paid this much for this job." I've been guilty of this
myself, but we have to be careful.

I also think it's a shame that we have to worry about such things while big
businesses get away with it every day. A federal judge declared Microsoft a
monopoly and wrote a 250 page report about how they had abused their
monopoly power. Yet they got off with a slap on the wrist because the Bush
administration will do anything to suck up to big business. Likewise, most
of the medical publishing companies have been swallowed up by two or three
giant conglomerates and they now have the power to force work-for-hire
contracts on all of their freelancers. Yet the Justice Dept. isn't taking
them to court.

Jim

_______________________________________

James A. Perkins, MS, MFA, CMI
Assistant Professor of Medical Illustration
College of Imaging Arts and Sciences
Rochester Institute of Technology
73 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, New York 14623