In a message dated 5/5/04 12:18:17 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< According to U.S. anti-trust law, a group of competitors can't get together
and "collude" to set standard prices. Since most of us are independent
contractors (as far as our freelance work is concerned), we all essentially
compete with one another.

As I understand it, it's OK for two people to get together informally and
discuss pricing. But it's not OK for an organization to facilitate
widespread price fixing. This is considered collusion. The only exception
is a trade union where members can set standard prices and engage in
collective bargaining.

You could make the argument that the GNSI is facilitating price fixing by
allowing people to use this listserv to collude on prices. This could get
the GNSI in hot water with the FTC. The AMI listserv prohibits discussion
of prices and price strategies specifically for this reason. I'm not aware
of any GNSI policy about this, but it's something to think about.

The Graphic Artists Guild, on the other hand, can get away with publishing
"standard" prices (in their Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines)
because they are organized as a trade union. At least, that's what I heard
recently.

Jim >>

This is correct.  GAG is a trade union and part of UAW. If we discuss prices
on list serve we should clarify that any prices discussed are based upon GAG
suggested prices. This way the information on pricing is not specifically GNSI
pricing but what GAG suggests for it's members. This can be a way to get
around the legal / ethical issue.
------------------             -----------------            ----------------
In the GAG's  10th edition of PEG's (I don't have the 11th edition so if you
have more updated info please submit). Although I hope that discussing it for
educational purposes does not infringe on copyright law.
Educational Textbook (college) illustrations are as follows: (for color)
Spot        $100 - $300
1/4 page    $250 - $450
1/2 page    $350 - $750
full page   $600 - $1,200

If you cross reference this to Medical /Natural Science Illustration
instructional college texts (b/w or color is not specified):
Simple      $100 - $275
Moderate    $300 - $600
Complex $350 - 1,000
An hourly rate is not specified for illustrating college text books.
Roberta