It goes back to the old definition of a contract: an agreement between
two
parties in which the needs of both are met. Emphasize 'both.'

I saw a presentation by the successful illustrator Tom Lynch at an AMI
meeting
and would recommend looking at how he conducts business. He makes
business
an adventure not an onerous chore.  When I was out there hoofin' it I
tried some of
his methods with good results. Check out his website:
http://www.tomlynch.com/default.htm

Probably the most important business lesson I ever learned, that has
worked very
well in life in general, I learned in New York City:  Everything is
negotiable.

Joan