It goes back to the old definition of a contract: an agreement between two parties in which the needs of both are met. Emphasize 'both.' I saw a presentation by the successful illustrator Tom Lynch at an AMI meeting and would recommend looking at how he conducts business. He makes business an adventure not an onerous chore. When I was out there hoofin' it I tried some of his methods with good results. Check out his website: http://www.tomlynch.com/default.htm Probably the most important business lesson I ever learned, that has worked very well in life in general, I learned in New York City: Everything is negotiable. Joan On Wednesday, May 5, 2004, at 10:24 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote: Pricing is a highly variable commodity in Natural Science art. Where you are located, the size of the client, how important the job is to the client, how much you need the work, and what the work can do for you in the future. I don't believe in price fixing either. Nor is my hourly fee the same for every client. Sometimes I prefer to do a flat rate because it can help me negotiate a better contract. Ultimately you want the client not to just buy from you once. But, develop the client as a resource to reorder and become a long term source of income especially if you are freelance. Developing and training the client is foremost. Firstly make them call you. Don't slobber over them and beg. Let them taste those art bones and sit up high for your art. What good is a high price if they only come around once for a nibble. You want to be fair to the client. I don't underprice. I price it so that the client will want more, , ,