    I don't know how he's uploading the files.  Pasting usually works
between applications on your desktop, but if you are going to load a file
onto the web, you would normally upload it either through an ftp program to
put it directly on the server, or through an internet based interface which
allows you to upload.
    I would suggest using Photoshop elements to save for the web (if it will
allow you to do that) with several different settings (and file sizes)  that
will allow you to test which one works the best.  I'm sure one of the
experts here can rattle off the exact settings for you, but I normally try
several, and see what I can live with.  It's always a trade off.  As for the
image size in email, In regular photoshop, or any image editing program, you
can find the option "image size"  You can change the actual size in two
ways, pixels (this is the number of pixels per inch) or actual size in
inches.  If you make the image smaller, you'll lose some resolution so
always keep a back-up copy.
    If you do this and the size is different then what you would like, then
the email program is displaying pictures based on pixel size.  Simply go to
the image size menu again and change the resolution to 72, which is pretty
standard I think.  Resolutions vary and the following are pretty standard.
75, 150, 300, and 600 dpi (dots per inch)  I know 72 sounds odd, but I think
it's a carry over from days of old when things were 72, 144 etc.

Hopefully this helps, but someone else may have a different take on this so
be patient and you'll get a few more options I'm sure.

Good luck,
-Jeremy Swan