You're running windows XP, right?  It's really not that difficult.  You'll
need an ethernet card on both machines and (I'll try to make this simple)
either an ethernet hub or a special kind of ethernet cable that acts like a
hub.
This cord is kind of confusing, but I'll try to explain it.  Normally you
have a cord with two ends on it that are identical.  One plugs into the
computer, and the other into the hub.  This happens on both machines and the
hub sends the right signals to the right places.  The problem is that when
you plug an ethernet cable from one computer into another, the signals get
crossed (like trying to plug a male cord into another male)  So the special
ethernet cable changes one of the males into a female and everything works
out.  Then all you have to do is go to the start menu, network configuration
and set up internet sharing.  I'm not exactly sure how to do this away from
a PC, but you can figure it out or someone else can probably explain it.
The mac is easier.  After you get set up, go to system preferences, choose
network, then select static IP (probably DHCP) you'll know once you get the
PC set up.  That's about it.  It should be pretty easy.
Good luck,
Jeremy