I have heard what Karen says here many times in my researching of
Children's books.
In fact, something that happens a lot in Writer/Illustrator
collaborations is that the story may be accepted but not the
Illustrations
Or vice versa...the story is rejected and the Illustrator is contacted
by the publisher to submit a portfolio for future projects.

Another tip I have read is that when submitting a manuscript for a
picture book, it is not necessary to commit the entire story to picture
"yet".
Illustrate several key scenes, one or 2 in full color and some in sketch
form. Show that you can maintain the character's
"look" consistently throughout several scenes.

A seasoned publisher can tell right away if the illustrations are right
for the story.
This could save you a whole bunch of uncompensated work in creating a
complete illustrated "dummy".

No matter how well a person draws, they may not have the skill to draw
for children (as odd as that might sound).

Check our some of the resources on this website.

Karl
http://www.scbwi.com/