RE: Lions and Tigers and Worms

I'm not trying to be a Mac apologist. I hope I was clear that there are Mac viruses, and low market share is one of the Mac's best defenses. I am well aware my computer is not invulnerable. That particular Trojan horse was just blown so far out of proportion in the media that it was driving me a little crazy. The general public goes very quickly from "they found a few vulnerablilities in the Mac OS," to "Macs MIGHT have as many vulnerabilities as Windows," to "Macs have as many or more security holes than Windows so who would want a Mac?" It's hard not to be just a little defensive when you're the underdog. ;-)

I agree that indicating the file type in a file's name is useful under certain circumstances, but ideally that should be obvious from the file's icon and other interface cues. Labeling files in that way should be an option, not a requirement (IMHO). Metadata support would allow much more advanced functionality in the operating system. Just talk to any advocate of the defunct BeOS file system.

Jeremy Stoller
Senior Graphic Artist
California Science Center
www.CaliforniaScienceCenter.org