Chapter meetings are open to all GNSI members and friends.

Annual Pot Luck Picnic
Saturday, June 19, 2004
1:00 to 5:00 pm (rain date June 26)

GNSI members and their guests are invited to this year's GNSI-GNY
picnic at the home of chapter member Rosemary Volpe in Monroe,
Connecticut. Please bring a dish to share.

RSVP to Rosemary (day 203/432-9804 or email at
[log in to unmask]) by June 16th with how many in your party and
what you'll be bringing. Extra chairs and outdoor games are also
welcome. Contact Rosemary for directions.

Opening Reception for the
Connecticut Invasives Traveling Exhibit
Saturday, June 5, 2004 from 4 to 7 pm

Artwell Gallery & Community Center
19 Water Street, Torrington, CT
May 29 to June 19, 2004
Artists' Reception

For additional information call (860) 672-6678.
Open Thursdays and Fridays from 1 to 8 p.m.,
Saturday and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

Call for Entries:
[The following calls for entry  are for Greater New York  chapter
members only.  Unfortunately, we cannot afford the additional
administrative effort of accommodating additional artwork  at this
time.]

GNSI-Greater New York Chapter Call for Entries
Alive in New York: A Growing Invasion
Non-Native Plant Invasion of New York's Private and Public Lands
A Juried Traveling Art Exhibition*
November 2004 to November 2005
The call for art is open to all GNSI-NY members.
Exhibit organizers: Roberta Rosenthal, Jessie Salmon, and Kate Rivera

What is the exhibit about?
An extension of the successful exhibit Connecticut Invasive Plants
and their alternatives, this exhibit focuses on the spread of
non-native plants from cultivation and accidental introduction, to
New York State's native ecosystems. We will include the offenders,
less aggressive substitutes for cultivation, and native plants at
risk in the wild. Birds, insects or other wildlife affected by the
introduction or loss of these plants may be included in a work. (For
example, the Monarch caterpillar feeds only on milkweed, or its close
relatives, or an insect predator imported as a biological control for
purple loosestrife.) The artwork will be accompanied by educational
materials to increase public awareness of our losses to the effects
of the invasion, and what can be done about it.

Where will it be exhibited?
Museums, nature centers, educational institutions and galleries
interested in environmental issues throughout New York State. The
exhibit opening will be on the grand opening of the new visitor
center at Sam's Point Reserve in the town of Cragsmoor, NY, in
October or November 2004, on view through January 2005.
How many paintings will be exhibited?
We would like to see all of the top 20 New York invasive plants,
along with several alternatives for each, rendered for this exhibit.
This could make for a show of anywhere from 40 to over 100 pieces.

Choosing a subject
Select from the list of the top 20 most invasive plants and
alternative/ threatened plants on the insert in this newsletter.* In
choosing a first subject, first come first served for invasives.
Duplicate subjects will not be accepted until all invasives are
chosen. The same applies to alternatives. Choose ASAP! [See entry
form info below.]

[*This list is too large to post to the listserv in this message. For
information contact Jessie Salmon  at [log in to unmask]].

********************

Alive in New York: A Growing Invasion
Entry Form
Name of Artist
Address
Phone (day)
Phone (eve)
Email

Name of invasive plant(s) selected:
1st choice
2nd choice

Name of alternative plant(s) selected:
1st choice
2nd choice

Send your entry to:
Jessie Salmon
GNSI-GNY Invasives Exhibition
90 Pine Street
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
OR

********************

Deadline for selecting plants
Written confirmation of your plant selection(s): 6/14/04 Please use
the form on the next page. Send to Jessie Salmon, 90 Pine St.,
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 or [log in to unmask]
Slides or electronic submissions for jurying: 9/14/04.
Jury art completed: 9/29/04. All work selected MUST have a slide
submission by 10/14/04.
Framed original art due: 10/14/04

Creative scope
Original works of botanical and scientifically correct fine art .
Specifications for original art
Media: watercolor, gouache, color pencil with additional water media,
acrylic, oils, egg tempera or original color prints (i.e., woodcuts,
linoleum prints, etchings, etc.). No photography or digital prints.
The color rendering may be on white or on a color
environmental/natural habitat painted background. Graphite or pen and
ink may be included as accents (part of a background, details of a
plant or other element).

Sizes for art
Invasives: To fit within 18" x 24" gallery-type frames.
Alternatives: To fit within 16" x 20" frame.

Framing
For paintings of invasive plants use 18" x 24" gallery frames. For
corresponding cultivated or native plants use 16" x 20" frames. Use
Plexiglass® acrylic glazing only.

Media support
Appropriate quality papers, vellum, board or canvas supports. Not
acceptable: mylar, Denril® or other similar plastic or film support.

Matting
Museum quality acid-free board, white or off white; no colored mats
(i.e., blue, green, purple). The matte should be appropriate for art,
with a border of 2" to 3" or more. Paintings on canvas or board do
not require matting, but should have a frame similar to that of the
water media.

Shipping requirements
Proper shipping materials that are reusable. All components of the
shipping material should be labeled with the artwork and artist name
for re-packing.

Fees
No artist fee for members who are current with dues (both chapter and
national GNSI). We will be charging the sponsor host a fee for the
exhibit and hopefully it will be enough to cover costs of insurance,
hanging and shipping.

Promotion
This will include: letters, a CD image bank, slides, inquiries,
brochures, listings on environmental, scientific, botanical, and art
web sites, and ads in newspapers and magazines (if funding permits).
We will seek out opportunities to get free articles written about the
exhibit.

Use of the image bank
Images will be stored for up to 5 years for the purposes of
educational and promotion use only.

Guidelines for selling a painting
Artists may set their own price and sell their original art,
including etchings, handmade lithographs, woodcuts or other fine
prints.. GNSI-NY takes 10% and the sponsor host up to 30%. We will
try to negotiate for a lower percentage. Artist agrees to replace any
painting sold with another original of the same (keep your drawings,
tracings and color roughs!).

Items to sell in gift shops
Artists may provide us with high quality greeting cards/envelopes,
matted digital or giclee prints, and any other high quality greeting
gift items like: art pins, T-shirts, mugs, mousepads, scarves, etc.
The host shops will want a wholesale price. In this way we can sell
the items to the shop upfront and keep bookkeeping simple. The GNSI
will not take a percentage on gift shop items.

Sponsors
A donation of $500 or more will get a sponsor's name as a supporter
associated with the exhibit all of our printed materials.

Rosemary Volpe                  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Publications Office                     phone: 1-(203) 432-9804
Peabody Museum of Natural History       fax: 1-(203) 432-5872
Yale University                         http://www.peabody.yale.edu/
170 Whitney Avenue
P.O. Box 208118
New Haven, CT 06520-8118 USA