Setting up your computers to share a dial-up connection would work something like this:

1) Plug the modem in your Macintosh into the phone line and use that to dial up. All of the modem settings, like the dial-up number, can be configured in the Network pane of your System Preferences.

2) Go to the Sharing pane of your System Preferences, click on the Internet tab, and check the box next to "Share the connection with other computers on Built-in Ethernet." Your Macintosh will now act as an internet router. Any computer on its Ethernet network can get an IP address from it and share its internet connection.

3) Either...
   a) using a special crossover Ethernet cable, connect the two computers directly to one another. Any electronics or computer store should carry these cables.
or...
   b) using standard Ethernet cables, connect both computers to the same hub or switch. Ethernet switches are better than hubs, but for two computers it won't make any difference, and simple hubs are cheap.

4) Configure your PC's Ethernet adapter to get its IP address dynamicaly via DHCP. This is normaly the default anyway.

5) Have the Mac dial-in and your home network is now online! You may need to reboot the PC for it to recognize the new network.

If you are trying to share a broadband connection then you can do basicaly the same thing as well, though I'd recomend springing for an external router. I have a Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with a built in 4 port switch (model BEFSR41). The DSL modem plugs into the router and I have four Ethernet ports to connect my computers and printer.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Jeremy Stoller
Senior Graphic Artist
California Science Center
www.CaliforniaScienceCenter.org