First I would recommend making sure your system is completely up-to-date. I think the most current Jaguar release is OS 10.2.8. You should also open the Disk Utility application and run the Repair Permissions routine before and after you install the updates, just in case.

Fonts can be stored in five different places in OS X. All of your OS 9 fonts should be in /System Folder/Fonts/. These are the only fonts available to Classic OS 9 applications, but they can also be seen by OS X applications.

The /System/Library/Fonts/ folder contains fonts that your operating system requires to operate, so I wouldn't mess with them.

The /Library/Fonts/ folder is where you store OS X fonts that you want to be accessible to everyone who uses your computer. It is the closest equivalent to the old Font folder from OS 9.

Every user also has their own font folder in /Users/<user name>/Library/Fonts/. If you install a font into your user font folder then it will only be available when you are logged in.

Finally, it is possible to set up network font folders that can be accessed by several computers at once, but this probably isn't something you need to worry about.

In the end you probably only need to deal with the fonts in your Classic System Folder and in /Library/Fonts/. If you use a lot of Classic applications then you should keep most of your fonts in /System Folder/Fonts/. Newer fonts that use the OpenType format won't work in that location however and will need to be installed in /Library/Fonts/.

Jeremy Stoller
Senior Graphic Artist
California Science Center
www.CaliforniaScienceCenter.org