If size and weight are a serious concern, then I'd look at the 12" Powerbook. It measures 10.9" x 8.6" x 1.18" and it's only 4.6 pounds. Or, for $500 less you could get a 12" iBook. It measures 11.2" x 9.2" x 1.35" and weighs in at 4.9 pounds. I could be wrong about this, but I believe the iBook is more rugged as well, since it is meant to be tossed in a backpack. It has an impact-resistant polycarbonate shell, a magnesium frame and a rubber-mounted hard drive.

Either of these computers can handle the Microsoft and Adobe software. If you're going to be playing with a lot of images then you might want to add some RAM, but it's not required. The included iPhoto software will probably be fine for organizing your pictures, but if you want to get really serious about it then I'd look into something like Extensis Portfolio.

Jeremy Stoller
Senior Graphic Artist
California Science Center
www.CaliforniaScienceCenter.org