I need some assistance identifying a marine organism.  My brother-in-law captains a ship in the Gulf of Mexico and their ROV recorded video of an unidentified marine organism.  Some believe that they've seen a giant squid and others think its a large species of jellyfish.  The pipe in the middle of the video is a marine riser and is 36" in diameter.  If you check the left side of the screen you'll see it swim upward past the riser as the ROV slowly pans down. It's tough to estimate size though because they're not sure exactly how close they were to the riser.  The ROV descends approximately 25' during the clip.  Some estimate the creature to be 75-100' in length.

Any assistance, guesses, or thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Joel

Joel Lake
Biological Sciences Department
Sault Ste. Marie Area High School

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the
E.U.P. Telecommunications Consortium Internet service.