I have not used this in Illustrator, but still use Streamline
occasionally on my old computer.  I keep it around to run some of the
old programs you can't get for OSX, and to run my old scanners.  When
I comvert scanned pen and ink drawings, Streamline will make large
black areas and then add white shapes over them rather than draw
black lines.  I don't like this, but have not figured out how to stop
it.  I don't know if the version within Illustrator is more
sophisticated.

Carie