-----Original Message-----
From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration-
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mieke Roth
Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2006 2:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SPAM] Re: [SCIART] TAN: X Creature

Dear all,

Although I am not sure also, I think it is a beluga whale,
Delphinapterus leucas. This would be the first animal you think of,
since the pictures are from Russia, but I can imagine that the teeth got
everyone on the wrong track. The length and the body shape are correct
with that of a beluga.

For comparison, see: http://www.skullsunlimited.com/cetacea.htm and
http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/tq-238-lg.jpg

The issue with the teeth was also troublesome for me, until I saw the
8th picture:
http://www.englishrussia.com/images/russian_sakhalin_monster/monster8.jp
<http://www.englishrussia.com/images/russian_sakhalin_monster/monster8.j
pg>

It looks as if the teeth are broken somehow. The order of the teeth and
the shape of the jaw are as if from a beluga whale.

The reason why I think it isn't a hoax is because the total looks
natural, even with the large skin like rubble on the top of the skull:
Belugas have a large amount of soft tissue on their heads and are famous
for skin shedding every year. The skull is definitely a sea mammal
skull: the nose is not visible and the shape of the jaw is too
"sophisticated" for a reptile. And I can't think of any current
herbivore that has a teeth order like a carnivore.

Mieke

P.S. I love the skeksis!