From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mieke Roth
Sent:
Saturday, September 09, 2006 2:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SPAM] Re: [SCIART] TAN: X Creature

Dear all,

Although I am not sure also, I think it is a beluga whale, Delphinapterus leucas. This would be the first animal you think of, since the pictures are from Russia, but I can imagine that the teeth got everyone on the wrong track. The length and the body shape are correct with that of a beluga.

For comparison, see: http://www.skullsunlimited.com/cetacea.htm and http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/tq-238-lg.jpg

The issue with the teeth was also troublesome for me, until I saw the 8th picture: http://www.englishrussia.com/images/russian_sakhalin_monster/monster8.jpg

It looks as if the teeth are broken somehow. The order of the teeth and the shape of the jaw are as if from a beluga whale.

The reason why I think it isn't a hoax is because the total looks natural, even with the large skin like rubble on the top of the skull: Belugas have a large amount of soft tissue on their heads and are famous for skin shedding every year. The skull is definitely a sea mammal skull: the nose is not visible and the shape of the jaw is too "sophisticated" for a reptile. And I can't think of any current herbivore that has a teeth order like a carnivore.

Mieke

P.S. I love the skeksis!