From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Linda Feltner
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: [SCIART] An amphibious assault

My own mother, in East Texas, carries on the tradition that my dad started, of "washing off the house" with a high pressure hose. They live on a lovely lake, and they, of course, accumulate bugs, spiderwebs, etc on the exterior of the house. The yard is filled with a loads Purple Martins (dad made condominiums for them) and hundreds congregate in the fall before migration.They have scissor-tailed flycatchers, Carolina wrens, eastern bluebirds (in boxes he built). The wrens nest in a wreath she has on the front door. They busily search through the small wood pile on the porch, too. They love the birds....

Some while after he died, I went with her to a large-warehouse-garden department, she wanted to look for chemicals to kill the bugs when they "washed the house". I asked her why she sprayed with bug spray, when beneficial insects were killed, effecting the birds (those cute wrens on the porch), and those cute tree frogs found in the watering can.

She asked the salesman for something to kill "those nasty spiders".....The salesman said a gallon of Clordane should kill any bug she didn't like..(this was back when it was available).
I said "NO!"... We walked away from the store empty handed. She says she only washes with water now. But, using bug spray was what dad always did, and I have my suspicions, now that I am hundreds of miles away.....

It makes no sense. It's really simple. But it's hard to change people's long standing attitudes. And sometimes the harder you try, the more it becomes "blah, blah, blah" "there she goes again...such an environmentalist - heavy sigh - how is heck did we raise such a tree-hugger". Talk about discouraging, if I can't convince my own family, it makes me feel like I'm a poor educator. But I'm not. I've been an educator in conservation for over 25 years. I've learned that some folks really don't want to give up their old ways, and dig their heels in even farther. Even the most gentle mention of the subject is like a gauntlet challenge. It's also the psychology of I'll always be the baby. My sisters are all environmentally conscious and we and their children spend hours enjoying the buglife of the lake - they "get it". Whew, what a relief.....
But they live in distant towns. There are entire communities with the same unbending attitude, and that is where the educational challenges are.

Never stop dreaming. Never stop working towards it.
Linda

Christi Johnson wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">It's the same with bats dying in massive amounts here on the east coast.  People tend to fear them (me not included, I'm even a member of Bat Conservation International :-)) so they're not getting how important it is to put in the funding to save them!  If we don't save our bat populations we could end up with a lot more undesirable bugs - which could hurt our skin from mosquito bites... and harm our food supplies too.
For those not in the know: http://www.batcon.org/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=361

~Christina
www.christinajohnsonart.com