For people who want to pursue the topic I would recommend anything by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Good thinker, clear, to the point. No fuzzy arguments.
Now I'm off to work. Joan

On Feb 12, 2009, at 8:53 AM, Mieke Roth wrote:

Hi Bruce,

It is not as bad as I hear from the US, but there seem to be more people over here that do believe in the 7 days that I could imagine. But thinking of our history, I don't think they will gain much ground.

To make a small twist on my previous remark: although I am agnostic, I am leaning more towards atheism that towards believe: for me (with the emphasis on me. I respect that other people do believe differently) the change that there is a god is very small because if there was there should be more evidence. But that is just a lose remark, I don't want to start a religious discussion.

And as one Dutch philosopher said: the evolution theory is as solid as the Pythagorean theorem.

Mieke

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Bartrug
Sent: donderdag 12 februari 2009 14:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] February 12 birthdays

An excellent point, Barbara.  I won't add to this discussion because I can't comprehend chosen ignorance, but certainly agree with your statements that there is nothing exclusionary about religion and evolution.  At least not to those with an open, inquiring mind.

I hope the more radical of the Creationists won't gain the foothold they have here in U.S., Mieke.