Jim

From: Robert Golder <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:34:13 -0500
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Conversation: [SCIART] Preparing color and B/W TIFFs for publication?
Subject: [SCIART] Preparing color and B/W TIFFs for publication?

I am seeking advice on preparing some scans for book publication.

Two years ago, I finished a group of 150 detailed illustrations for a book on fishes. All were done using traditional techniques, as specified by the client. Half of the illustrations were done in pen and ink, and half were painted in full color using acrylics. I scanned each artwork before delivery to the client, to have images to work with in case of loss or damage while the originals were held by the client or the printing company.

Not long after I had concluded my work (and gotten paid, thank goodness), the client ran into some problems. Difficulties with the first printer that was contracted to produce the book, and then budget cuts, forced the client to put the book project on hold. The client recently contacted me for assistance in finding alternative means to restart the process of getting the book printed and published.

One way that I can help is by providing my scans of the artwork. The color scans are 300 ppi CMYK-TIFFs and are color corrected the way I like them. The B/W line drawings are 1200 ppi TIFFs, and I think I made them CMYKs too (I still have to dig out the stored disks). I am particularly concerned about adjusting these B/W scans, as I recall that there are particular steps that ought to be taken to ensure smooth lines without "jaggies" and other issues that arise when preparing scans of line drawings.

Any advice on final adjustments to these color and B/W scans would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks ... Bob

Bob Golder
New Bedford, MA, USA

http://niobrara.unl.edu/users/lana/gnsi/listserv/

http://niobrara.unl.edu/users/lana/gnsi/listserv/