It is interesting that surgeons who operate using robotics are playing video games to remain sharp - and accurate.
Jane
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gail Guth
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 12:21 PM
  Subject: [SCIART] TAN: unintended benefits of drawing tablets

  On Dec 14, 2009, at 12:01 PM, Glendon Mellow wrote:

    I got used to it pretty quick, looking at the screen and moving my hand on the tablet (but I play video games to unwind so maybe it's not so different.)  I practised my signature a bunch of times to get the hang of it.

  I used to be just dreadful at video games, the laugh of the family...couldn't get across even one lane in Frogger without getting smooshed. But after years of using the tablet and doing computer art, I came within a talon's point of stomping my daughter's Godzilla (I was Mothra) when we recently used her Playstation. It took me a few rounds to get used to the controls, but then I gave her quite a good challenge. I was surprised, she was very impressed, so there's another benefit to using tablets. I had apparently greatly improved my eye-hand coordination.

  She wants a rematch, thinking it was a fluke. Hah.

  Gail

  Gail Guth
  Guth Illustration & Design
  139 Lathrop Avenue