It is interesting that surgeons who operate using robotics are playing video games to remain sharp - and accurate.
Jane
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Gail Guth
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 12:21 PM
Subject: [SCIART] TAN: unintended benefits of drawing tablets

On Dec 14, 2009, at 12:01 PM, Glendon Mellow wrote:

I got used to it pretty quick, looking at the screen and moving my hand on the tablet (but I play video games to unwind so maybe it's not so different.)  I practised my signature a bunch of times to get the hang of it.

I used to be just dreadful at video games, the laugh of the family...couldn't get across even one lane in Frogger without getting smooshed. But after years of using the tablet and doing computer art, I came within a talon's point of stomping my daughter's Godzilla (I was Mothra) when we recently used her Playstation. It took me a few rounds to get used to the controls, but then I gave her quite a good challenge. I was surprised, she was very impressed, so there's another benefit to using tablets. I had apparently greatly improved my eye-hand coordination.

She wants a rematch, thinking it was a fluke. Hah.

Gail

Gail Guth
Guth Illustration & Design
139 Lathrop Avenue