Thanks Gwen,
Since white backgrounds are the norm for traditional botanical illustration, although I find I like the look of some of the botanicals against a light colored background even if it is unintentional. I presume skilled print shops use sophisticated digital methods for 'burning out' the background reflected color that use to be done through masking film in the old photographic methods to reproduce these painting accurately.
-Sue
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Gwen Koths
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Background color in botanical watercolors

Hi Sue,

Most ASBI painting are executed with pure white backgrounds as it is often a requirement for exhibition.  Because it is so difficult to photograph botanicals with this background , one often sees pale colors where only white should appear.
Actually a lot of time is spent trying to get accurate color along with a pure white background when reproducing  traditional botanicals.
Hope this explains the tints,
Gwen