You can't negotiate to let them use copyright, have exclusive use, for one year at which time all rights as well as the original art work revert back to you? joan

On Mar 1, 2010, at 9:34 AM, Mieke Roth wrote:

Hi Emily and Bruce,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have reacted to the research group that I am willing to do it, but for double the price. I don't know if they are willing to do that, and if they don't it is a pity of a great opportunity, but I am already going beyond my own principles by offering it. And this will not be the last of such a opportunity...

Mieke

Mieke Roth
Wetenschappelijke en technische visualisaties
ir. Mieke Roth
Breehorn 46
8223 CN Lelystad
0320-412117

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Emily S. Damstra
Sent: maandag 1 maart 2010 14:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] question about copyright

Hi Mieke,
I can't comment on what the value of being published in "Blood" might be, since I'm not familiar with that publication.
Regarding copyright, I think it is always a good idea to try to keep the copyright to an illustration you produce, but I also have no problem transferring the copyright if I'm well paid for it. If I were you, I would probably double the price.

Hope it works out for you!
---
Emily S. Damstra
freelance science illustrator