Thanks, Mieke,

That clarifies the issue for me.

What I need to do is instruct the typesetter or layout person to butt the
artwork, as is, along the gutter.  Then insure that the rest is 1/8 inch
larger all around the three outer edges.  (This being an image covering only
one 9inch tall by 6inch wide page when viewing a book that, when open,
measures 9inches tall x 12inches wide.  The image size in this case that I
would send to the layout person would be 6 and 1/8 inches wide and 9 and 1/4
inches tall -- 1/8 inch extra all around the three outside edges.)

On a full 9inch tall by 12inch wide image, I only need to make the image
bigger by 1/8 inch all around the outer side (or 9.25inches tall by
12.25inches wide), and be certain to mark where the gutter should be.

Thanks also to Jeff Swanson, who wrote me offline to explain that 5% bleed
was completely "wonky."

My response:
Jeff,

Wonky is right.  5% is a *lot* of overkill.  Maybe 5mm, but that's still
about 1/4 inch.  Not sure where I picked up that term, but it's obviously
wrong.  Full bleed at 1/8 inch, as described above in the link from
Eva-Marie, is indeed correct, and is actually the way a previous job was
handled.  My apologies for the confusion.

Jeff went on in some detail to explain basically what Mieke just indicated
above.

So that straightens me out post haste.  It's a matter of terminology and
standard practice that I just haven't picked up on.

"Bleed" is a strange word to use for a printing procedure, and is sometimes
not explained very well.  Here's Wikipedia's definition:  *"Bleed* is a
printing <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printing> term that refers to
printing that goes beyond the edge of the sheet after trimming.  Oh?  *
Nothing* goes beyond the edge of the sheet after trimming;  this should
read, "before trimming."*  *And it shouldn't say "printing" that goes beyond
the edge, as the print is never intentionally cut off a page.  OK, that's
picky, but I'm trained as a scientist and am used to a very particular, and
picky, type of written statement that attempts to be absolutely clear in
meaning.  If I didn't have a basic idea of what we are talking about here, I
truly would wonder what was meant by "after trimming."

The issue about the gutter is also never mentioned in definitions of
"bleed."  It's just standard practice.  One, however, that should be very
clearly specified to the typesetter by picky people such as myself.  :)

Thanks to all those who took the time to respond,
Bruce