Hi Bruce,

Since I regularly do the layout of the page that contains my artwork in
magazines, I am used to using bleed. 5% is really, really very much, or you
are making a really small book. Normal is a bleed in mm. 5 mm is used, but 3
mm is more common. I am not sure how much that is in inches, though. So that
is really different from what you are used to. The 5 mm doesn't have to
contain real artwork, but the suggestion of it. As with a canvas, the sides
aren't shown. If you are making illustrations that only cover half a spread,
than you have to take in account that the bleed is normally only on 3 sides,
so not the gutter edge. But that depends on how the book is made. The setter
can adjust the edges of your artwork within InDesign, so be aware of that.

Mieke

Mieke Roth

Scientific and technical visualizations

Mieke Roth, Msc.