Generally not, is my understanding, Cynthia. Engraving was a very
particular skill and they were hired by publishers. While many very
talented artists in their own right worked as engravers, the subset
of engravers was much smaller than that of other artists because of
the apprenticeship period.

Kathy G

On May 21, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Cynthia Padilla wrote:

>  I took one semester of printmaking
> many years ago in college. SO much physical work!! I imagine back then
> botanical artist was also engraver?
>
> Cynthia
> Cynthia Padilla, botanical workshop/retreats across TX, NM, CO, CT,
> MA, MO,
> KS, Canada, Central America, Internationally:
> http://www.artinstructor.blogspot.com/

change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."  -
Margaret Mead