Thank you, Britt. I cannot explain "horrible" unless a total dark gray square with the pencil drawing so "overexposed" that it's extremely distorted and multicolored.

In Illustrator, I'm just doing a label and a black ruled square in Illustrator and placing a jpeg behind the ruled square, showing where I'd crop it. I have nearly 40 illustration draft sketches. I grouped them to size, because in groups of 5-8 per AI document, they have the same code numbers, and I wanted consistency with the cropping. I chose the "Smallest" size pdf document because of sending them electronically.

I'm not doing anything to the file after it is opened in Acrobat. Even the thumbnail in the finder window shows the gray square where there should be none.

I found a way around it, but it has not explained why one day it's fine, and the next day things have somehow altered.
(The work-around is to save it as a pdf using the "Illustrator Default" setting, and DEselect the "preserve editing abilities". It then goes to a 500kb file rather than a 2.7MB file.

I'll send you the before and after versions.
You are very kind.
Linda
_______________________
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 803-0538
www.lindafeltner.com

Britt Griswold wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">What is your definition of Horrible?

Are you doing all your work in Illustrator or are you also doing something in Acrobat after Export?

If you want to send me the project zipped up, via YouSendIt. I can have a look.

Britt