This post and discussion was very timely for me since I am about to replace my old printer. I am trying to decide whether to buy an Epson R2880 to make prints and cards, or whether to have a print shop print my work (and just get a cheap printer for everyday needs). I am just at the beginning phases of marketing my work.

Any thoughts on the trade-offs?

And although the author of the article was kind of a ... well, irritating ... i gotta agree that prints on canvas are cheesy!

Lore

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Feltner [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] [Fwd: Grammar of Color Vol 6 No 1]

I agree with Britt in several aspects.

Giclee is just another word for inkjet, fine. And perhaps the public does need to be educated. High-end archival printers are trying to educate the public, and the artist, to the quality of their product. They call their prints "archival prints" NOT giclee. The longevity of what comes out of a low-end model desk-top printer can be vastly different from a high-end archival printer. The printer I use makes a very strong distinction between the two. She supplies information of ink and paper testing such as Wilhelm Research, who isn't some cheapo fly-by-night marketer. Check out their site.

The information my printer provides on her site is:
"According to studies conducted by Wilhelm Research (www.wilhelm-research.com<http://www.wilhelm-research.com>), the accepted standard by most museums and respected galleries, the color permanence of Epson's UltraChrome HDR pigment prints is rated for 108 yrs. However, if you mat and frame your print using acid free materials, as well as use a standard UV filtered plastic or UV glass, the color permanence of your print on Epson's 100% rag is rated for 175 years (meaning first noticeable sign of color fading or shifting). Hahnemühle FineArt Pearl (www.hahnemuehle.com<http://www.hahnemuehle.com>) color permanence is rated for 135 years when matted and framed with acid free materials and UV filtration. As with any art, the room climate in which your print is displayed influences its stability. Also it is desirable to display artwork in an environment with limited exposure to extreme humidity and temperature variations."

She also provides instructions that I copy and place on the back of every print giving instructions on this framing information.
This informs the buyer under what conditions these archival qualities depend. It has to be framed and placed properly which adds to it's longevity. I have people say they are used to paying $20  for a 20x30" print, why are mine so expensive?, and I give them a copy of this information.

Another good point you made Brett:
My printer also provides prints for prestigious photographers. The same printing machine, paper, the same inks are used to print their photos (as well as her own), so why all the separation of photographer and artist? art and product?

If the buyer is made aware of what they are buying, and they like it, they will buy it.

My two cents.
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 803-0538
www.lindafeltner.com<http://www.lindafeltner.com>

Britt Griswold wrote:
I found the article on "giclee" prints entertaining.  I find little merit in his concerns however. ....
Britt