I am have this problem as well. Sometimes much more content comes
through as code than text. There may be as many as 10000 lines for
only a few lines of message text. Horrible to wade through. Within a
single digest email there is a mix of "clean" messages and "coded"
messages that include all the html formatting, and I receive other
messages that include html-formatted content just fine, so I'm
presuming the problem is not with the settings of my browser.

I've also opened up coded messages (from a digest email) in
Dreamweaver to look at them, and the code is often partially garbled
and/or incomplete. So, something odd is happening to these messages as
they are bundled into digest mode?

It appears that this might be a MIME format issue with the person who
is responding to a SCIART_L email from a browser not set to
read/translate MIME format messages?

I don't understand it enough to know what questions to ask. Britt, can
you help with parsing this problem?

Judy

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 1:00 AM, SCIART-L automatic digest system
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
>  2. garbled messages

> Date:    Wed, 5 May 2010 09:34:50 -0400
> From:    Morgan-Scott <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: garbled messages
>
> I'm no computer expert, but I >think< what Maria and I are reporting is a
> combination of some sort of computer glitch and the result of people
> replying to the digest without "trimming."  Hmm, by the way, it isn't one
> particular person, it's almost everyone, so maybe it is some sort of glitch.
> I always trim my replies here, but there is so much gibberish in between
> messages that I can't even tell if my messages are full of gibberish or not.
>
> What I get is a readable message with heading, following by what I think is
> the entire previous digest, or whatever digest the person is replying to, in
> what I take to be html gibberish.  When the digest is long, this can go on
> for pages and pages, making it practically impossible to find the messages I
> know are there, unless I scroll through for literally several minutes.  So
> sometimes I just delete the whole thing.
>
> best, Julia Morgan Scott

> http://citnews.unl.edu/presentmethods_lana/listserv/index.html
>
> ------------------------------
> End of SCIART-L Digest - 4 May 2010 to 5 May 2010 (#2010-116)

Judith A. Stoffer, MA, CMI
jStoffer Medical Illustration
4000 N Charles St #408
Baltimore, MD 21218 USA
Phone: 443/676.8883
www.jStoffer.com
judyATjStoffer.com

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the
rest of the world.
-John Muir, naturalist, explorer, and writer (1838-1914)