Thanks, Mieke,

That clarifies the issue for me.

What I need to do is instruct the typesetter or layout person to butt the artwork, as is, along the gutter.  Then insure that the rest is 1/8 inch larger all around the three outer edges.  (This being an image covering only one 9inch tall by 6inch wide page when viewing a book that, when open, measures 9inches tall x 12inches wide.  The image size in this case that I would send to the layout person would be 6 and 1/8 inches wide and 9 and 1/4 inches tall -- 1/8 inch extra all around the three outside edges.)

On a full 9inch tall by 12inch wide image, I only need to make the image bigger by 1/8 inch all around the outer side (or 9.25inches tall by 12.25inches wide), and be certain to mark where the gutter should be.

Thanks also to Jeff Swanson, who wrote me offline to explain that 5% bleed was completely "wonky."

My response:
Jeff,

Wonky is right.  5% is a lot of overkill.  Maybe 5mm, but that's still about 1/4 inch.  Not sure where I picked up that term, but it's obviously wrong.  Full bleed at 1/8 inch, as described above in the link from Eva-Marie, is indeed correct, and is actually the way a previous job was handled.  My apologies for the confusion.

Jeff went on in some detail to explain basically what Mieke just indicated above.

So that straightens me out post haste.  It's a matter of terminology and standard practice that I just haven't picked up on.

"Bleed" is a strange word to use for a printing procedure, and is sometimes not explained very well.  Here's Wikipedia's definition:  "Bleed is a printing term that refers to printing that goes beyond the edge of the sheet after trimming.  Oh?  Nothing goes beyond the edge of the sheet after trimming;  this should read, "before trimming."  And it shouldn't say "printing" that goes beyond the edge, as the print is never intentionally cut off a page.  OK, that's picky, but I'm trained as a scientist and am used to a very particular, and picky, type of written statement that attempts to be absolutely clear in meaning.  If I didn't have a basic idea of what we are talking about here, I truly would wonder what was meant by "after trimming."

The issue about the gutter is also never mentioned in definitions of "bleed."  It's just standard practice.  One, however, that should be very clearly specified to the typesetter by picky people such as myself.  :)

Thanks to all those who took the time to respond,
Bruce