Hi Jan,

You denigrate yourself and your valuable (both in the sense of $ and educational content) contribution by saying you didn't provide to the 'written portion' of this article. Nine times out of ten the article would be much less educational without accompanying illustrations to illuminate information in the text. The author promised you credit as an author, and that's where your name should be. I would not accept any feeble excuses.

This is a continual struggle that all illustrators face. I can cross post this to the AMI (Assn. of Med. Illustrators) list and there are many there, along with those like Barry, who have fought and won the recognition as co-author, and who might be able to provide you with more insight on this problem.

You risk more by not standing up for yourself than you do by letting this slide -

Pam

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
 Hello,

My illustrations are finally about to be published in a journal.  Since I worked on the layout and titles/figure numbers for my illustrations the 'scientist' said he would add my name to the list of authors a couple years ago.  I just got the draft today, of course he didn't include me in the list of authors but just in the acknowledgements as an illustrator.  Either he forgot, or perhaps thought this wasn't fair, since I didn't write any parts of the article.

It seems like it would be very generous to add me to the list of authors when it's about a 48 page article, and someone else did a few of the illustrations.

I'm curious if any of you have been listed as authors for journal articles, or if you have just been 'acknowledged?'

 I do have a science background so I'm perhaps a bit different than some, however, I didn't provide any info. for the written portion of the paper.

Thanks,
Jan