From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barbara Harmon
Sent: donderdag 10 februari 2011 15:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] b/w plant illustrations

Hello everyone,

Thanks to all who emailed me.

By now those on Science-Art should have received Jeff Greco's request for bids ("Line Art").

He and I have spoken dollar amounts but this is basically a spec project:  real payment is based on how many Apps sell.  If you are a gambler you may see some value in this.  As for me (and I am definitely a bit of a gambler!) I averaged a reasonable guess and percentage sales, and my conlusion is:  not enough money - or respect.

My opinion:  when you are talking field guide (and especially to plants/flowers), illustrations are an important if not crucial part of the whole.

The percentage offered (not sure:  Britt, can I publicize specific amount? ..Listees can email me for exact %) is not indicative of his respecting the illustrator.

In addition to this, the plants he needs illustrated may be difficult locating reference material for, there are always copyright issues to avoid, and there are time constraints.

I am always eager to find a new way to make some cash.  Apps could be super-lucrative.  But I am turning this down.  I would need to feel like a bit more of a partner in such a venture, rather than a ill-respected drone.

If anyone chooses to go forward, please let us all know how it goes!

Barb