Are these magnifying lenses, Barry, or close-up lenses?† And do they contain a corrective prescription as well?

Thanks,

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Barry K MacKay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I asked my optometrist to prescribe glasses that would magnify what I was working on...they work like a charm under good light.† They never leave my studio.†† But my work isnít as detailed as some might want.

B.

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Bartrug
Sent: May-20-11 6:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Magnifying lenses

Good question, Linda.†
I have a pair of clip-on diopter glasses that work all right, and they do swivel up out of the way just like clip-on sunglasses.† They only cost about $30.† I can't see a brand name on the frames but I bought them through my optometrist, so any similar office would know where to get them.† The only problem is they only have one focal length, so occasionally I have to switch them back and forth between regular and reading prescriptions.† Or take them off and just use my naked eye.† The latter is something I try to avoid though, as it strains my neck and eyes both.† I guess for $30 I could buy two diopter strengths, eh what?† :)† So something a bit more flexible like a magnifier might be a better option.† I have one of those, too, but find it gets in the way of brush handles, and is on a stand not a flexible arm that can be moved around more easily.

I'll be interested in other's answers.

b†