I have a pair of ~5x  jeweler's lenses on a band that fits around your head, a lot like an optivisor (the lenses can be flipped up out of the way), which I find very useful for doing drawings with fine detail  (I wear heavy duty prescription glasses and would find it really tough to switch between two sets of glasses).  I find that having something I can add to my glasses works better than something I have to substitute for my glasses.  The big-magnifier-on-a-stand approach is a lot less flexible, and as Bruce says it can get in the way.

Another option is to buy a set of inexpensive (though not too cheap!) drugstore reading glasses and wear them over your prescription lenses -- great for close work; I use them all the time for sewing, etc.

Hope this helps --

Margy N.

Margaret C. Nelson, Ph.D.

Rumford Graphics Scientific Illustration

http://www.margynelson.com

124 1/2 Judd Falls Road

Ithaca, NY 14850

607-257-7144