From: Consie Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [SCIART] disposing of blades
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2011, 11:41 AM

This is a good question; I've thought about this too, and have only just now come up with this thought: Considering that those blades are just metal (they are not like medical sharps that could have had drugs or bodily fluids on them), would it not make sense to find a way to simple put them with metal recycling? What if a person were to keep a metal can (say, like from a can of tomatoes) and also hang on to the metal lid after removing it with the can opener... Then put the blades into the metal can, and when it's time to put it in recycling, wedge the metal lid down atop the blades. Maybe even put some painter's tape to make sure the metal lid doesn't come out. Then put the can into metal recycling. This seems like a good idea to me. Is there something I'm missing, thinking this way?

Consie