You could be right, Will, but an enormous number of watercolor artists use masking liquids without any (apparent) damage to the paper.† Ammonia is a component of most masking fluids.† It's a volatile substance, and would tend to dissipate shortly after being applied to the paper.† That said, I've never researched tests to be certain it doesn't change the paper to some extent.