And then there are those if us who apply the pastel dust with a brush...bridging the two terms nicely...

:)

Amanda

-----Original Message-----
From: Patricia Savage <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration-
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 16:12:07
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Painting Versus Painting

I think the official museum take is that a pastel is a drawing. I think
the official pasatelist take is that a pastel, when used to fully render
a subject, is a painting. Maybe they will catch up to us! hee-hee!

What do the colored pencilists say? They render color in a line, which
Webster defines as a drawing, but their finished work looks like a painting.

Cheers,

Patricia Savage

Mayapple Studio

919-859-2789 (h), 919-438-6766 (m)