If you're using a microscope there are a couple off the shelf digital
imaging softwares.  The one I use is from Media Cybernetics called ImagePro.
it will autofocus at multiple depths and automatically resolve the focus to
generate a clear image through the identified depth.

This type of imaging is pretty common for anyone studying anatomy and
developmental biology.  Most often we use the resulting images as the basis
for 3-D reconstructions.

Liz Lockett