If you're using a microscope there are a couple off the shelf digital imaging softwares.  The one I use is from Media Cybernetics called ImagePro. it will autofocus at multiple depths and automatically resolve the focus to generate a clear image through the identified depth.

This type of imaging is pretty common for anyone studying anatomy and developmental biology.  Most often we use the resulting images as the basis for 3-D reconstructions.

Liz Lockett