Stephen:

What about "In this printmaking method, he used fabric instead of paper."

Just a thought.
Linda
_____________________
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 803-0538

On Oct 5, 2011, at 4:46 PM, Stephen DiCerbo wrote:

thanks all,,

context does seem to matter....     the sentence I am struggling with roughly says  "he used fabric instead of paper as a XXXXXX  in this printmaking method."

Ground may have been the term that was flittering around the back of my head, but I would relate that to something like gesso is to canvas. The medium here  would be ink and words like panel or support seem too specific and board-like, Surface seems too general (I am describing a technique)

I guess  my tendency is to go with substrate  as of now, but it does seem a bit geological  :^)

If anything  comes to mind  give a shout...  my grammer proof reader is a tough one...

Stephen