Actually one did "work".  Killed at least one or more persons who found
one and started messing with it.

The US was able to locate where they were being launched from by
comparing some grains of sand probably used as balloon ballast with sand
samples collected pre war by geologists.

Sand was identified as coming from a single beach area in northern Japan.