I thought this is right up our ally, so you may find this interesting. I looked at these and found
at least one of these Science books to be something to really look closely at. I suspect we would
all want to have the talent to be the artists and designers of "The Where, the Why, and the How: 75
Artists Illustrate Wondrous Mysteries of Science" that makes science visual.

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/11/19/best-science-books-2012/

And as for the best designed books, this is imagination in action. Apply this creativity to science
communication and you can't be beat. Besides no job these days ins 100% illustration.

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/11/27/best-design-books-2012/

Britt