Try Brushes - if you were at the Savannah conference, you saw Oliver Uberti demo a Quicktime movie of sketches he did on his iPad using Brushes. It's fun to use, quite versatile, and you can export the sketch to your desktop and watch it develop. For Christmas I got a brush stylus that I've just played a little with; it's a stylus with actual paintbrush-type bristles, really nice so far.

I use Docs-To-Go to open and edit (and create) Microsoft files (Word, Excel) and pdf files too. Keynote works great for presentations. Calculator Pro is a regular calculator in portrait mode and a scientific calculator in landscape. GoodReader seems to open a lot of files, it's more complex than I have ever used but it does come in handy. PSD viewer opens Photoshop files. Klammer opens email attachments that aren't otherwise compatible with iPad. I use iSwifter as a web browser to open sites with Flash pages.

i just downloaded Evernote, haven't gotten into it yet. It is a note-taking program, and will record audio notes. Dropbox works great; I have You SendIt but haven't used it yet.

I have Kindle and iBooks, both are great. Loads of freebie books if you like the classics!

nd of course Angry Birds (Angry Birds Space is a hoot).
Mahjongg, crosswords, solitaire; my daughter downloaded Texas Hold'em, I don't play it. Gas Buddy and Poynt for prices and finding local restaurants, etc.

Gail