Okay, "designs include things *like* road signs". I feel better.

From Franz' comments of "in the bed of a pick up shooting archery at targets that appear along the side of said road", I was beginning to think this was the SCA equivalent of a bunch of drunk rednecks shooting up road signs. Or raccoons, horses, cows, small children… along a public lane.

"there is ALWAYS a story when Pavel is involved……"

Apparently.

"I believe it was a staple of the Blood of Hero's events"

Events???

Did Pavel have anything to do with dog ball?

Dog-Ball-msg (8K) 9/ 1/12 A sport played in standard SCA armor and polearms, based on a game in the movie "Blood of Heroes".
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ENTERTAINMENT/Dog-Ball-msg.html

Stefan