I use a Jullian Plein Air HALF BOX French easel. The full box is way too
heavy. This is perfect if you're not traveling far. It's not for hiking but
I love it for painting outdoors if I'm setting up within a ten minute walk
from my car. I carry my paints separately, i.e. not in the easel box.
A pochade box is nice too.
I saw a French easel for sale cheap at a yard sale, but you live too far
away!

One of my students at my last Italy workshop made a set up for oil painting
that looked lightweight and sturdy. I know he hiked with it. I'll try to
contact him and ask about it.

Gretchen

Gretchen Halpert
Illustrator/educator