I used to use an external hard drive, mainly as backup until it died.  It
was a 2 TB.  Now I use Carbonite.  I have restored files from it and you
can access your files from any computer with internet access.  I liked the
idea of the backup being automatic--I don't have to remember to do it and
that it is offsite.  It isn't going to help me to use it as a backup if my
house burns down.