I started to use Carbonite just before they doubled their on line rates.
Also, although nowadays it's really not that much of a problem, one needs
to be able to access the internet to use it.  Timing can be everything.
Using a cloud-based service does make it easy for clients to access your
work.

For safe keeping (such as there is) I use two 1TB hard drives, and rotate
them into a safe-deposit box at a local bank every so often.  Things get
stolen, too.  And burnt in house fires.  Oops.  Sorry, Linda.  I remember
your previous episode with a canyon fire a couple years ago.  Not fun, and
hope you won't be faced with that again this year.  I'll probably update
those to 2TB when next I need to buy new drives.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM, B Fenenga <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I used to use an external hard drive, mainly as backup until it died.  It
> was a 2 TB.  Now I use Carbonite.  I have restored files from it and you
> can access your files from any computer with internet access.  I liked the
> idea of the backup being automatic--I don't have to remember to do it and
> that it is offsite.  It isn't going to help me to use it as a backup if my
> house burns down.
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
>> HI All:
>> Is there any news out there that I should be aware of prior to the
>> purchase of a new external hard drive.
>> Probably a 2TB.
>>
>> Any new technology?
>> Thank you in advance.